Looking for a new planner for 2018? I’ve got you covered. I bought 8 planners this year (and was gifted 1 more!). I tested and reviewed them all to create the ultimate planner round-up. Read on to find the best planner for you!
This post includes affiliate links, which means if you choose to buy something using my link, I’ll earn a small commission at no extra cost to you. You can read more on my disclosure page.
The Best Self Co. Journal
The Best Self Journal is a daily planner designed around a 90-day planning cycle. According to Best Self Co., the SELF Journal “empowers you to embed the powerful habits and routines that can boost your confidence, crush overwhelm, and make your success inevitable.”
The Best Self Co. Journal is best for:
Detail-oriented people who need to manage all the moving parts of a big project.
Pros of the Best Self Co. Journal:
- The Best Self Journal provides a lot of structure and a detailed approach to planning. It’s perfect for Type A people, or people who need a little more Type A influence in their lives. 😉
- It’s undated, so you can start using it any time.
- The planner has great prompts designed to help you achieve your goals and reduce overwhelm.
- It’s a daily planner, so if you have a lot going on, you’ll be able to truly clarify your goals and prioritize your daily tasks.
Cons of the Best Self Co. Journal
- Each planner only holds 90 days, so a year’s supply of planners costs more than $120!
- The 90-day planning system is great for project planning, but not so great if you want to see the whole year in one place.
- The cover is very plain. (In my world, that’s a con…my husband, on the other hand, loves that he can take this planner to work and still look professional.)
The Commit30 planner is a weekly planner designed to help you create better habits. For 2018, it comes in several colors, two sizes, and dated and undated versions.
The Commit30 Planner is best for:
People who want a basic planner and/or people who want to create better habits.
Pros of the Commit30 Planner:
- The Commit30 planner is simple and streamlined.
- It has great features to help you establish better habits. I love the commitment pages to help you commit to a new habit and the bubbles you color in to help you track your new habit.
- At $40 for a yearly planner, it’s very affordable.
Cons of the Commit30 Planner:
- Most of the pages are unlined, so if you don’t write neatly, your planner will look messy.
- The Commit30 planner is pretty simple. If you’re looking for more structure and more planner prompts, it won’t be a good fit. If you want a basic planner, this is perfect for you.
Erin Condren Life Planner
Erin Condren has built a planner empire around her bright, colorful, customizable planners. She has a cult-following and a whole industry of planner stickers has grown around her planners.
You can use my link to get $10 off your first Erin Condren Life Planner, just register for an account and the company will email you a coupon.
The Erin Condren Life Planner is best for:
People who want a colorful, feminine, and fully customizable planner.
Pros of the Erin Condren Life Planner:
- The Erin Condren Life Planner (ECLP for short) makes planning fun. If you’ve never been able to stick to a planner, this might be the best planner for you. 🙂
- If you’re creative and artsy, you’ll love all the stickers and accessories that you can get to customize your planner.
Cons of the Erin Condren Life Planner:
- The ECLP comes in three basic layouts, but has very little structure. If you need help breaking down a big goal or project into smaller pieces, you’ll find this planner lacking.
- The Erin Condren company upsells you on all the accessories, so if you’re not careful, you can spend a lot of money on planner pens, planner stickers, metallic covers, and on and on and on.
If you’re interested in buying the ECLP, use my link to save $10. Simply register an account on the website, and the company will send you a $10 off coupon.
To read my full review of the Erin Condren Life Planner, click here.
Emily Ley Simplified Planner
The Simplified Planner by Emily Ley is just what it sounds like, a simple, minimalist planner. This planner comes in daily or weekly versions and a variety of colorful covers.
The Emily Ley Simplified Planner is best for:
People who prefer elegant, minimalist design and don’t have a ton of big projects to manage or appointments to keep track of.
Pros of the Emily Ley Simplified Planner:
- It’s simple and elegant. If you like beautiful things, you’ll enjoy this gorgeous planner.
- It gets back to the basics of planning. Simply write down your appointments and to do list and you’re done.
- The paper is thick and smooth, which gives the planner a luxurious feel. Plus, pens glide across the page and don’t bleed through to the other side.
Cons of the Emily Ley Simplified Planner:
- This planner only comes in a dated version, so if you like it, buy before January!
- I think it’s too simple for most people’s needs. If you are a stay-at-home parent or work in a job with a steady routine, this planner is all you need. But for everyone else, I think more structure in a planner is helpful.
The Passion Planner is a weekly planner that comes in two sizes. It’s designed to be the ONLY tool you need to organize your life and reach your goals, both in your personal and professional life. In 2018, Passion Planner is introducing its new Eco Line. The planners in the Eco Line have a re-usable cover that you can use year after year to hold the paper planner insert. The eco covers save the environment and save you money.
The Passion Planner is best for:
People who want to manage their work and personal life from a single planner.
Passion Planner Pros:
- It’s affordable. At $35, it’s the cheapest yearly planner I reviewed. Plus, you can save an additional 10% using the code EMILY10 at checkout. 🙂
- There are several features that help you prioritize and stay focused.
- It’s undated, so you can start using it any time.
- It has a variety of cover colors, cover designs, and two sizes. There is something for everyone’s taste without being overwhelmed by choice.
Passion Planner Cons:
- The Passion Planner can feel overwhelming because there is so much structure.
The Daily Greatness Business Planner
The Daily Greatness Business Planner is the only dedicated business planner I tested. Like the Passion Planner, it’s very comprehensive and would be great for keeping track of both business and personal tasks. Because it’s a business planner, it has additional business planning pages and lots of tracking sheets for accounting and other business metrics.
The Daily Greatness Business Planner is best for:
Small business owners who want a dedicated business planner.
Pros of the Daily Greatness Planner
- It seamlessly combines business planning elements and normal planner features, like calendars and weekly spreads.
- It’s colorful and comprehensive.
- The prompts and reflection questions are very thorough and will get you thinking hard about your business. It’s almost like having a business coach on your desk.
- It’s undated, so you can start using it any time.
Cons of the Daily Greatness Planner
- This planner has TONS of prompts and little boxes to fill out. For many solopreneurs, it will be overkill and many of the prompts won’t be relevant.
- The pages are quite thin, so you can’t use a heavy pen to write in it.
- The only cover color option is yellow. So if you don’t like yellow, you’re out of luck.
If you’re interested in the Daily Greatness Planner, you can use my link to get a 5% discount! You can also read my full review of the Daily Greatness Business Planner here.
The GoalDrvn Planner
The GoalDrvn Planner is designed to help you break down your goals into small, actionable steps. A lot of people get stuck in this phase of planning and feel overwhelmed trying to reach a goal. If that sounds like you, then the GoalDrvn planner might be the perfect solution. I also love that this planner emphasizes work-life balance and healthy habits, with a tracking process for both.
The GoalDrvn Planner is best for:
People who need a little structure to help them break a big goal down into small, achievable tasks.
Pros of the GoalDrvn Planner
- It will help you break down a big goal into achievable milestones so that you can finally get things done. 🙂
- It’s undated, so you can start any time.
- Every other page is a blank dot grid, which is perfect for doodlers, note takers and anyone who wants to try some bullet journaling.
Cons of the GoalDrvn Planner
- It only comes in one color and size, and I felt that the size was a bit small. It’s portable, but difficult to write in.
- The planner is based around a complex system. You’ll have to invest some time reading the front pages of the planner to understand how the system works.
The Day Designer
The Day Designer is a feminine and functional daily planner. It comes in two sizes and a variety of colorful covers.
The Day Designer is best for:
People who prefer to focus on one day at a time, instead of looking at weekly or monthly spreads.
Pros of the Day Designer:
- Ease of use: The Day Designer doesn’t need a dozen pages of instructions (unlike a few of the other planners I tried). It’s simple, functional, and intuitive to use.
- “Just right” planning pages: It has everything you need and nothing that you don’t. It’s not overly complicated, but nothing important got left out.
- Gorgeous design: Both the covers and the interior pages are beautiful. If you like planners that are both beautiful and functional, this is the one for you.
Cons of the Day Designer:
- The pages are very thin, but I think that’s the compromise that you have to make to keep a year’s worth of pages in one book. If the pages were thicker this planner would be too big to use!
The Productivity Planner
The Productivity Planner is different from the other planners I tried because it’s task-based, not time based. This makes it perfect for people who get overwhelmed by long to do lists or elaborate planning systems. The Productivity Planner is a daily planner (one day to a page), and each planner lasts 6 months.
The Productivity Planner is best for:
People who want a task-based planner, as opposed to a time-based planner.
Pros of the Productivity Planner
- It’s a great tool to help you prioritize.
- Because there is one day per page, you can focus on your daily tasks without feeling overwhelmed.
- The Productivity Planner is designed to work with the Pomodoro technique. If you like to work in 25-minute sessions with a short break afterwards, then this planner will pair perfectly with your work style.
- The reflection and self-evaluation prompts will help you continuously improve your productivity.
Cons of the Productivity Planner
- This is a task-based planner, so there are no daily time slots to fill in. If you have a lot of appointments each week, you’ll need to use a second planner or calendar to stay organized.
- The planner only lasts 6 months, so you’ll have to buy two each year.
What planner are you using this year? Have any recommendations for my next review? Leave a comment, let’s chat planners!